- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. apple cider
- 1 tsp. chili paste
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- cooking spray
- 1/2 sweet apple (such as Honeycrisp), thinly sliced
- 8 slices deli oven roasted turkey breast, rolled
- 6-8 leaf red Swiss chard
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shaved into thin slices
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Melt the butter and add olive oil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet. Stir in the onions, salt and pepper, and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the apple cider and chili paste, then cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the onions are golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
Spray one side of each bread slice with cooking spray, then place sprayed-side down on the baking sheet
Divide the cheese slices onto each bread slice. Fan the apple slices over the cheese on two of the bread slices. Arrange the turkey breast over the apples then top with the cider onions, evenly divided. Top the onions with the baby Red Swiss Chard leaves and cover with the remaining cheese and bread on top.
Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
If you prefer, sandwich may be pressed in a panini maker until toasted and browned.