- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tsp. dry chili seasoning
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 oz.) beef broth
- 1 c. water
- 1 can (16 oz.) pinto beans, well drained
- 1 tbsp. dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 2-2/3 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
In heavy 4-quart pot, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add turkey. Increase heat to medium high. Cook, stirring until turkey is no longer pink. Mix in chili seasoning. Add tomatoes, broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Stir in beans, sugar, vinegar and chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts and simmer additional 20 to 30 minutes. Season with hot pepper sauce to taste.
Ladle chili into 8 bowls and top each with 1/3 cup shredded pepper jack cheese.